Thursday, March 28, 2019

Reversible Wood Block Craft. Hoppy Easter and Welcome spring

have you seen these reversible blocks on Pinterest? They are so much fun. I would say this project is easy but it does take some time. I am always amazed at how we can give the same set of supplies to a few girls and we get very different results. These Blocks are the perfect example of that because there are so many different things you can do with them. We had 3 girls who made this project and as you will see below they were all different styles. I tend to go with a more clean simple look. One of our girls likes more variety and mixes up more patterns, And My daughter doesn't plan much she just starts crafting and it is fun to see what she comes up with in the end.

I and going to show a step by step guide here. You do start with 2 by 4 wood cut to size. If you would like to do this project but do not have a wood shop you can go to my ebay store and purchase the pre-cut blocks you can choose just the blocks or a full kit with the letters pre-cut and the patterned papers. find the kits here:https://www.ebay.com/itm/123712736860

so you would start with your wood blocks which are 2 by 4 wood peices cut to size. you will need 2- 7 inch pieces 2- 5 inch 2- 4 inch and then a 7 inch block cut to about 2 inches the long way.





You can either paint or stain your blocks. for this project I chose to go with light colors so I panted my block a nice pale yellow.
Most of the block is actually being covered by scrapbooking paper or card stock so it would be ok if you choose not to pain the whole block you could do just the sides and about an inch wide frame on the block but I find it easiest to just pain the whole thing. 
While you wait for the paint to dry choose your papers. I used a paper cutter to cut strips of paper about 3 1/4 inch ( 2 by 4 wood is actually not 4 inches wide it is closer to 3 1/2 inches) which leaves just a little yellow showing on the edge. to cut the right length I use the block to measure I just line up the strip of paper up to the top of the block and draw a line at the bottom of the block. I then cut just a little inside my drawn line and it usually ends up perfect. another idea is to trace your whole block on the back of the paper if you don't have a paper cutter or if your blocks are a little off on measurements. 




next using Modge Podge or other clear drying sealer  ( make your own with Elmer's glue recipe 2 parts glue to 1 part water. eg. 4 ounce glue 2 ounces of water). When you glue the paper sometimes likes to bubble or wrinkle. to minimize this I found you should do 2few things. First glue the back of the paper and not the wood block. Make sure the glue is no so thick that the glue does not pool in any spot so a light coat of your sealer is best. I also found if you spread your Modge Podge thin and wait just about 30 seconds so it is starting to get tackier then wet you will get a smoother finish. Line up your paper and place it on your block and lightly rub around the edges of your paper to be sure they don't curl up. Set another block on top of the one you just glued for a minute or two. If you still get any bubbles it is ok most of the time they are not easily noticeable and you can always add a little embellishment over it to hid it if you need to ( a cute flower or bow works great)
Next, add your letters using the same Modge Podge process, and any embellishments.Tip: if adding any 3d embellishments wait until both sides of the blocks are done first or it will not lay flat while you are working on the opposite side.  you can then seal it with another light coat of Modge Podge right over the top of everything, but that is not necessary unless your project will be displayed outside or in the bathroom. 

repeat the same process on the other side.


I took Pictures of my work along the way to post here. My Friend Sue made this one


And The Summer/ Fourth Of July was made by my 11-year-old Daughter Brooke




No comments:

Post a Comment